Sunday, February 12, 2012

Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

Here’s a disturbing thought...

I recently decided to take a closer look at the extreme wings and find out what they really thought and were up to. I found the liberal left-wingers (the ones who lean so far left they need a crutch to hold them up and keep them from falling over) to be very open and up-front about what they believed and wanted. In fact, this info is everywhere, all over the web, in the newspaper, and even fliers all around any given town (not to be confused with bumper stickers that only make a statement and don’t give any actual information).

I didn’t run into any boards or chatrooms that required membership to read, just participate. I’m not saying they don’t exist, I’m just saying I didn’t see any.

The Lefties approach a lot of what they’re talking about with massive amounts of humor and sarcasm, which I have to admit makes it hard for me take them seriously. Most of the time all I can do is sit there enjoying the free giggles, while hoping they really aren’t as stupid as they sound. For the Lefties, attacking the other side’s policies and candidates resembles a mob of stoned teenagers engaged in a food fight, with occasional adult begging for order before finally succumbing to the second-hand smoke and developing a contact high.

On the other side of the coin, however, I found something far more disturbing. The extreme right doesn’t want anyone to know what they’re up to. They give out well placed and sort-of-well worded press releases and very obviously employ an army of professional publicists. Unfortunately for them, these are publicists who weren’t good enough to get a job somewhere else. But that’s not the part that I find scary.

No, the part that I found really disturbing was that I didn’t find a single board or chatroom that allowed someone to read without joining. It might not have bothered me so much, but some of them posted the current thread topics for the public. One such topic that really caught my eye was “Obama Opposition Research - Post All Negative Information on Presidential Misrepresentations” on the national Tea Party site teapartypatriots.ning.com. And, of course, when I clicked on it I was asked to sign-in or become a member to view post.

Really? This is one reason (one of many) why I’m a member of the ‘middle’. The idea of either side actually getting to rule this country with impunity scares the ever living shit out me. One side doesn’t appear to be able to stay sober long enough to make any major decisions, while the other side is a bunch of sneaky-ass bastards who plan surgical strikes against anyone who opposes them. One side would spend us into the ground trying to help everyone, while the other side would let millions die just to save a buck.

And what’s really, really scarey, is that both sides think they can justify how their beliefs are the right ones, and actually believe it. I guess Stealers Wheel was right. Clowns to the left. Jokers to the right.

And here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment